Did you catch Berwick Fields on 7 News last week? If not, here is the clip that played as a part of the ‘David Brown School Days‘ segment.
Here is our News from 56C for Week 5. Thanks Josh and Liam for the work you have put in to it!
Can you help support Berwick Fields? There are currently numerous programs running that are helping to provide resources for our school. Perhaps you are already collecting the vouchers below? Maybe you have an aunt, uncle, grandparents or friend you could ask to also collect vouchers and coupons for Berwick Fields.
Here is our first edition of News from 56C for Term 3, thanks to Lara, Jesse and Zak. In this episode you can find out about Interschool Sports, maths, new book groups and our production. You can also find out about ‘Zak’s Facts’.
This week’s episode of News from 56C has been produced by Jarryd and Jessica. You can find out information about our class novel, interschool sports, what we prepared in Kitchen, our class inquiry topic and what we have been learning in Maths. Kelly will even share some examples of how to convert fractions into decimals and percentages. Check out the episode below!
Tomorrow we will be producing episode five our our weekly ‘News from 56C‘ podcast. Our podcast started five weeks ago and is a summary of the learning that the have been doing in class. Kelly and Luke produced our first broadcast with very little instruction or teacher guidance and it has grown from there – the project has been student driven.
Last Friday, we spent some time as a class thinking about the purpose of creating the news and how we will know if we are successful when doing it. After all, to be a great learner we need to understand why each activity is important. Students individually brainstormed ideas of the learning that they thought was involved (our WALT – What we are Learning to do) in producing the news and we then put them together on the list below. What a long list!
As you can see, this task is very rich and contains a lot of learning. It is great because we are incorporating all the skills that we learn individually during our time in class. It enables us to integrate all our learning together and show off the skills that we have developed over the weeks and terms at school. Already in just four episodes we have shown that we can look at the feedback and ideas from other news episodes and build on them, as the students have been doing. Make sure you keep an eye out each week for the latest News from 56C and don’t forget to leave a comment!
This week’s news was produced by Chevrolet and Liam, although features special presentations by Josh and Kelly. If you haven’t already seen our performance at assembly you can check out the video here.
Don’t forget to leave a comment below to let us know what you think!
A big thanks go out to Josh and Zenia for putting together this week’s edition of News from 56C. In this episode you can find out about Interschool Sports against Brentwood Park, an update on the performing arts centre, information about our new inquiry topic and what we have been learning in maths. Make sure you leave a comment below to let us know what you think!
We are now at that hectic time of the year with writing reports and completing assessments and because of that, it has been more than a week since we updated our blog. This doesn’t mean we haven’t been hard at work though!
During the week Luke and Kelly have been busy investigating and preparing the first episode of our new weekly vodcast, temporarily titled ‘News from 56C’. Together they brainstormed a large list of ideas for the episode, wrote up a script and filmed it themselves. What a fantastic effort for our first ever attempt! In this week’s episode, you can find out about:
As Kelly suggested, we are looking for a name for our vodcast. Do you have any ideas? Do you have any other feedback about our first episode?
This is a copy of our class news update emailed home today. Have you been receiving these email updates? If not, I may have your email address wrong – please feel free to pop your email address into your child’s diary so that I can fix it up.
Dear 56C Community,
Welcome back to term two! I hope that you had a fantastic holiday and got to spend lots of time with your family.
We have had a big start to the term in 56C – beginning with the Fun Day with Mr Painter and Cross Country all in the first week. Certainly made those three days fly!
Last week, half our grade participated in the KEA Netball Cup at St Margaret’s School. Not bad, considering only 16 students were selected from Berwick Fields! It was our first year in the tournament, but we had great success and after 10 matches, our mixed team won the premiership on Friday. What a stellar effort. You can see Tai, Zenia, Liam and Luke with the trophy and their medallions here (http://goo.gl/pVoGV). Well done to Chevrolet, Olivia, Sarah, Amber, Malinthi and Kelly who also competed on Wednesday.
Regular news and activities from the grade is posted almost daily on our blog. Some of the highlights so far this term have included;
- Kambrya and Berwick SC came to talk to us during the week about what it is like at secondary school, and to answer our questions. Tonight (Monday 8th) is Kambrya’s Open Night. Even if you are not attending Kambrya, it is a great opportunity to see what a secondary school is like. I will be heading along to check it out, and if you would like more info you can look here: http://goo.gl/LabTL
- Our learning agenda for week three can be viewed here- http://goo.gl/RNw6l
- As always, our homework for the fortnight is online: http://goo.gl/czAIw
- The students (and some parents!) have been attempting our maths problem solving challenge; ‘Powerlines’. It has been great to see the persistence of many students with this fun challenge. Why not try it yourself? http://goo.gl/0aZLu
- Recipes from the Kitchen on Wednesday. The students cooked up a fabulous feast and really enjoyed it. I am sure they would love the chance to cook the menu again at home for you – why not let them and have a night off! http://goo.gl/nDKi0
- We celebrated our 5th year at Berwick Fields on the 5/5 with a whole school photo on the oval. Check it out – http://goo.gl/yqlsI
Many of the students have now become regular commenters on the blog, which is fantastic to see. There are two really great positives I see from this;
- Firstly, the students are extending our classroom into their home. It shows that our learning doesn’t stop at 3:15, or begin at 9:00. They can access games, work and resources on here if they choose, as well as communicate with me and their classmates.
- They get to develop their English and communicating skills while they use the blog. To comment, students need to know the writing genre, formulate a message and proofread their work. Any writing practise is good writing practise, and this is an authentic medium for them to practise with! Since we no longer write letters to each other as times have changed, it is important students have these chances to practise writing. We don’t allow SMS or ‘txt’ talk on our blog, so we are practising correct spelling and grammar all the time.
We would LOVE for you to join in our conversations as well, by posting feedback or discussion on items you see on the blog. It gives us a great sense of pride and joy to know others are interested in our learning and what is happening. Have you heard the podcasts or seen the videos we created after camp? Ask your child to show you! Maybe you have a grandparent, uncle, aunt or family friend who would also be interested in what is going on in our class and would like to comment with us.
Thanks for taking the time to read our update! If you would like any more information about anything that is happening in 56C, or would like to discuss how you child is going, please feel free to contact me at any time by email, phone, blog or popping in. I am always happy to talk about what is going on!
Have a great week!