Here’s our episode of News from 56C for weeks 4 and 5 of Term 4. In this episode we are talking all about science and interschool sports. Enjoy!
The ball hit the bat, bounced right off, and flew beyond the boundary lines. Berwick Primary had just scored a six. Another one! At this point in the first game we were getting thrashed-not that we got any better as time went on. But there was still encouragement all around. Some of our team were still learning to play cricket but we were all great at cheering on! In the end the score was Berwick Primary: 160 runs and us: 85. Yea, not so great. What hope did we have? Sure we wanted to win….BUT COULD WE?
After the first games thrashing it was highly doubtful that e be able to get back. Everyone as feeling down but we still hadn’t lost our urge to win. Our next opposition as Oatlands. After a sweaty match in which the sun was beginning to really come out the scores were 125 runs to 105. Yes, we lost again…sadly! Although we had lost two games we had already improved immensely!
There was one good thing about our next opposition-we had already thrashed them in our practice match. It was Berwick Lodge! However they too beat us 105 runs to 85. Maybe we were a bit depressed then but our determination was still there. There was still one more game though and this time we were determined to win…somehow!
It was the final game. We all wanted to win this one! And guess what…WE ACTUALLY DID IT! We won against our opposition Brentwood Park. It was a good end to our lightning premiership!
Malinthi, Shaun and Zenia
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is the fourth book in the Harry Potter series. Written by J.K.Rowling, these books have a great way of capturing the reader’s imagination.
Harry Potter enters his fourth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry with confusion, excitement and the feeling that he will challenged greater than ever before. In this book Hogwarts will be taking part in the legendary Triwizard Tournament, held between three famous wizarding schools every century, or so; and this year the Tournament will be held at Hogwarts! From each school one representative must take part in three challengingly dangerous tasks, and the winner will be awarded fame, glory, 1,000 Galleons and the shiny Triwizard Cup!
The Triwizard Tournament is always celebrated with an air of excitement, and it is no different this year…but why then does Harry feel distracted…why is he worrying about other things, while all of his friends are in a fun, worry-free mood? Could it possibly be something to do with his lightning shaped scar burning momentarily or him seeing strange visions?
And what are these three dangerous tasks? Who are the three representatives from each of the schools? How does all this effect Harry?
You’ll have to read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire to find out!
I would rate this book 10/10. It’s so interesting and full of mysteries and twists! I recommend it to anyone and everyone!
As I entered the room, which was decorated in colourful streamers and balloons, I smiled at the birthday girl, who was striding over to me in her tall party hat. Her name was Victoriah, and she was one of my best friends! I could hear music booming from an awesome stereo, and I could see people dancing to the songs. I felt like dancing to, but I stayed put to hug and wish the birthday girl.
My eyes wandered around the room as I handed Victoriah her present and I saw some girls from school happily dipping scarlet strawberries into what looked like warm, flowing chocolate fudge. My tummy rumbled and I could suddenly smell all the food in the room; there was packets and packets of Salt and Vinegar chips, Pascal Swirls, chocolate cookies, fruits and orange cordial. Victoriah had clearly heard my tummy rumbling, because she chuckled and said, “You can start eating now if you like! We’re still waiting-“. She was cut off by the loud sound of a dozen party poppers being popped, and in the next second we were both covered in streamers!
The doorbell rang, and Victoriah left to check who had arrived. I thought I might as well help myself to some chips and cordial, so I dodged balloons, streamers and people to get to the glorious table piled with food. There were more things than I had smelt; party pies, biscuits and more than enough soft drinks! Then I saw the cake. The glorious, mouth-watering cake! Shaped as a beautiful, pink rose, and as big as a steering wheel. I couldn’t take my eyes off it. I imagined what it tasted like…melting in my mouth. I stepped forwards, felt my foot get caught in a wire, and I tripped. The music, which had been still booming away, suddenly stopped. Everything seemed to go extra slow…I fell onto the food table, crushing chips and cookies. And the cake. I had destroyed the cake. The beautiful cake.
I heard a scream, and I felt a dozen pair of eyes burning into my back. I lay there, guilty…and still hungry.
Our Prezi is all about how the first War started, how it ended, and also what happened afterwards. We hope when you go through our Prezi, you will learn as much as we have researching the project. Zenia and I enjoyed working on Prezi, because it was new and different to the daily Powerpoint. We think the effects on Prezi make our whole presentation look more interesting and worthwhile. Hopefully, everyone else thinks so ,too!
La Ville de Rio
Thanks to Ryan, Zenia and Lara for summarising the 1980s.
A big thanks go out to Josh and Zenia for putting together this week’s edition of News from 56C. In this episode you can find out about Interschool Sports against Brentwood Park, an update on the performing arts centre, information about our new inquiry topic and what we have been learning in maths. Make sure you leave a comment below to let us know what you think!
In class we have begun to look at the ‘7 Steps to Amazing Writing’. As a launching pad to the steps, we began by spending the first fortnight focusing on ‘Sizzling Starts’.
A Sizzling Start is a start to a piece of writing or story that really engages the reader and makes them want to read more in the story. It could be an action scene or something funny – anything that makes the reader want to keep reading more.
We have had a look at writing which does not sizzle (it fizzles!) and how it causes us to become disinterested in the writing. Some examples of this include writing that starts with ‘On the weekend…’ or ‘When I woke up…’.
Students have been fantastic at identifying sizzling starts! Some of the sizzling starts that we have identified in books, movies or television programs include:
- The beginning of Stormbreaker, with Ian Rider being chased from Port Tallon. (thanks Tai)
- The introduction to Men in Black, as the agents zap the alien in the desert. (Thanks Zak)
- The movie Wall*E with its engaging and wonderful first scene.
- The film Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, which starts with the boulder chase scene.
- The Simpsons Movie, when Homer poisons the town’s water supply (thanks Jarryd)
- Pirates of the Caribbean has a suspense filled start with many people dying
- The television show Modern Family often starts with a comic scene that makes you laugh and want to keep watching.
- The books Beware contain lots of short stories but they are all set in Halloween and full of suspense. (Zak)
- The books in the Deltora Quest series contain twists at the start to make you want to find out what happens, such as when the main characters die out right at the start (thanks Zenia!)
- Tomorrow When the War Began starts with a bombing and fighting scene
- In the novel Breaking Dawn the character begins to talk about her life experiences and what has happened to her (thanks Kelly)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets captures you in by jumping off where the last story ends and Harry doing something he shouldn’t be doing.
- The Short Second Life of Bree Tanya starts with a newspaper headline and the main character talking about how it will affect others
This is only a short list of some of the ideas that we discussed in class over the past fortnights. We have also completed a range of activities to get us good at thinking about quick starts to stories. These have including writing ‘five fast starts’ where we have to write the start to five stories in just ten minutes- yes it can be done! Ideas we were given for stories included “All of the kids are at school but there’s no teacher’s in sight”, “A ghost story about a dog with three legs” and “There’s a tree in the wetlands that eats kids”. It’s amazing what you can write in two minutes when you put your mind to it!
Today, we moved on to another of the steps and starting looking at Planning for Success.
We spent some time this morning discussing the importance of having a wide range of ideas to be able to build a story from, and not necessarily using the first thing that pops in to your head. As a grade we brainstormed some large lists of different characters (heroes and villains), sidekicks, problems, settings and animals we might include in a story. From these lists, we had to use something from each list to write the start to a silly story. Here are some of the ideas we came up with.
- A walking saucepan has to flee from the FBI who know his mysterious secret. It’s the year 2012 with Mayans freaking everywhere and with the help of a monkey his only transport is a non-stop kicking horse. -Malinthi
- A class full of heroes in the year 2500 has to stop a million dollar author and her evil cat from making every pencil in the world grow huge with only the help of Kevin Rudd. – Kelly
- A fat cow and its sidekick the talking wheelchair have to fight the psycho killer for killing the Prime Minister, helped by a tiger with fangs. – Jesse
- The evil cat is owned by a mad scientist in the year 3000 with the help of a supersized pig. But he was stopped by the talking tree. – Sarah
- In the first year ever a lady had a super big pig and her sidekick bumble bee brother looked after it. They also had an old lady, sick hobo and giant bee. – Olivia
- A vampire, who has lived from 1899 to 2240 trying to find a way to become human again, has found her match, a demon and with only her mind and her python she has to kill him or he will control the world and herself forever. -Amber
- A farting monkey and sidekick, a non-stop kicking horse, would face and fight evil dog. They would fight in the year 2240. Evil dog will die and the world will end. -Ryan
- There once was a zombie with his sidekick alien mouse named freckles. They tried to stop the evil flesh eating dog from trying to kill the guy with an evil haircut. – Jarryd
- In the year 1204BC, one ex villan has to prove his hero worthiness by defeating an old Egyptian guy who wants to be the God of everyone, with the help of only his miniature talking dinosaur and his smart flying hippo. – Zenia
Wouldn’t these ideas make for an engaging story!
Today (and on Wednesday) Tai, Luke, Liam and Zenia went to represent our school in the KEA Netball Competition held as St Margarets School in Berwick. After a gruelling ten games, their mixed team won the Grand Final against St Margarets! Congratulations to these four, and the rest of their team, who are now the area Premiers!