Week three is going to be a big week, especially for the grade fives who will be sitting the NAPLAN assessments this week. Some of the other things we will be doing this week include;
- Exploring the ideas of chance and probability in Maths, including the likelihood of events happening and the ways we can record this data mathematically;
- Continuing to learn about factors and multiplication in maths;
- Reading more of Hatchet;
- Learning about ‘infering’ meaning when reading, and completing some activities to help us develop these skills;
- Examining ‘Sizzling Starts’ in writing, and practising writing our own sizzlers for narrative writing;
- Continuing with our reading groups where we are learning about ANZAC Day, Gallipoli and the British Monarchy, while practising our reading comprehension and questioning skills;
- Finishing our first book club on Monday;
- For grade sixes, developing our Public Speaking skills through a special public speaking course that will run while the grade fives are doing their NAPLANs;
- Playing our first Interschool Sports match against Berwick Primary School;
- Wrapping up our term one ‘Identity’ inquiry topics and sharing our findings with the rest of the people in our groups;
- Beginning our assessments for mid year reports and to help us identify what we need to focus on later in the year.
Don’t forget that tomorrow night (Monday) Kambrya will be having their open night from 6:30 – 7:30pm. If you will be attending Kambrya next year or in 2013, or are unsure of which school you will be going to, it would be great to pop along and see what the Secondary School is like. I will be heading along to check it out too.
Yesterday at assembly we had a visit by Jeri Fox from Kambrya College. She told us some things that grade 6’s heading to Kambrya next year could expect, and answered some of our questions about secondary school. Below is a copy of the flyer that went home with all students about their open night next Monday night.
On Friday afternoon we will be having some teachers and students from Berwick Secondary coming to speak to us as well, where we will be able to ask more questions about going to secondary school.
Kambrya Open Night
Monday 9th May 2011
6:30 – 7:30pm
A warm invitation is extended to all Year 6 Parents and other interested parties to our annual Open Night, commencing in the Ian McKenzie Centre.
Come along and hear about the fantastic programs offered at Kambrya College. Take part in a tour of the College and find out about our school priorities, High Achievers’ Program, curriculum from years 7-12, enrolment procedures and co-curricular programs.
Presentations will be run by student leaderts, members of ythe Principal Team and Teaching Team.
On Tuesday, 29th March Berwick Secondary will be holding a parent information session for grade 6 parents. This will be taking place at 7pm in their Performing Arts Centre (PAC).
View Larger Map
Berwick Secondary will have school tours on the following dates. You must call the school to book on 8768 1000.
- Tuesday 15th March @ 9.30 am
- Monday 28th March @ 9.30 am
- Saturday 2nd April @ 9.15 am
- Thursday 28th April @ 9.30 am
On Thursday grade 6 students took home information about Berwick Secondary’s High Achiever’s Program for Year 7s in 2012.
What is the High Achievers Program?
At Berwick Secondary College we do our best to cater for all students in the community. Students who show high academic aptitude and have high academic aspirations are particularly suited to our High Achiever Program.
This program, which has been running successfully for 6 years, allows students to progress through school with their age peers whilst ensuring they remain challenged with work appropriate to their abilities. Emphasis is placed on higher level thinking, problem solving and academic achievement. Involvement in the performing arts and community projects are also features of this program.
For more information about this program, check out the Berwick Secondary College website. Other information and links about the Grade 6 Transition program can be found here.