Today you have three tasks to complete during our ICT time.
- Writing Task. Check out our topic for today below. You should put your piece in an email to me. While you are in your email, reply to the transition email you sent last session.
- Ratios Task – Have a go at the ratios maths task from this post. You will need to use your Ultranet password. Ask for help if you need it.
- Simple Machines – Have a go at the Simple Machines game from this post. Make sure you read the information as you play the game and record some short dot points on the different types of machines and what they do (think about which procedure will help you to do this!). Pick two of the simple machines and record, in a comment on that post, a fact about each of those machines.
Today’s writing focus is on drawing together the skills we have been learning in writing over the last term. Before beginning, take some time to write a plan for your story. Then you can start writing. Remember to think about:
- having a sizzling start
- having a problem/event occur in the story (and building the tension to it)
- using plenty of description to set the scene and mood for the story (but no adjective overload!)
- Before submitting your story, remember to edit your work and ensure it is of decent quantity and quality.
As a prompt for your story, use the idea…
A new student has joined our class. But something isn’t quite right about them…
|For today’s writing task you need to send me an email, rather than posting a comment on the blog. First you will need to log in to your email account.
Your email should be written just like a letter, with a greeting, introduction, paragraphs and a conclusion. It is a formal piece of writing and should not be written in txt tlk.
Grade 6’s – Last term at a class meeting we started talking about transition. What are you most looking forward to about year seven? What are you worried about? What would you like to know more about? Do you have any questions, or things you’d like to ask and don’t want to ask in front of others?
Grade 5’s – What are you looking forward to in Grade 6? What are your hopes and fears? Do you have any questions? Are you interested in running for team captain and if so, why?
Once your letter is complete, please complete the assigned activities on Mathletics.
Let’s link in with our Inquiry topic and study for this week’s thinking question. Our focus this week will be on:
- making links between the past and the present (and identifying what is different)
- including historical fact in a fiction piece of writing
- describe a scene
- writing in the first person.
You are Marty McFly, and have just travelled in the DeLorean back to the year 1912. Describe where you have arrived and what the world is like. Try to include facts about the era to make it seem real.
This morning, the focus for our writing task is:
- Including detail
- Working on your OFI (opportunity for improvement).
Before you start, make sure you check your email so you have some feedback from last week’s writing task.
You are invisible for the day. What would/did you do?
This morning we are going to do a quick, ten minute writing task. Our focus is on:
- Being creative
- Quickly coming up with an idea
- Editing our work as we go
If you could go on a dream holiday anywhere, where would it be and why? What would you do there?