Here’s our episode of News from 56C for weeks 4 and 5 of Term 4. In this episode we are talking all about science and interschool sports. Enjoy!
The ball hit the bat, bounced right off, and flew beyond the boundary lines. Berwick Primary had just scored a six. Another one! At this point in the first game we were getting thrashed-not that we got any better as time went on. But there was still encouragement all around. Some of our team were still learning to play cricket but we were all great at cheering on! In the end the score was Berwick Primary: 160 runs and us: 85. Yea, not so great. What hope did we have? Sure we wanted to win….BUT COULD WE?
After the first games thrashing it was highly doubtful that e be able to get back. Everyone as feeling down but we still hadn’t lost our urge to win. Our next opposition as Oatlands. After a sweaty match in which the sun was beginning to really come out the scores were 125 runs to 105. Yes, we lost again…sadly! Although we had lost two games we had already improved immensely!
There was one good thing about our next opposition-we had already thrashed them in our practice match. It was Berwick Lodge! However they too beat us 105 runs to 85. Maybe we were a bit depressed then but our determination was still there. There was still one more game though and this time we were determined to win…somehow!
It was the final game. We all wanted to win this one! And guess what…WE ACTUALLY DID IT! We won against our opposition Brentwood Park. It was a good end to our lightning premiership!
Malinthi, Shaun and Zenia
This is my summary of the third book of the chronicles of Narnia-the voyage of the Dawn Treader.
The youngest of the Pevensie kids are forced to come and live with their wretched cousin Eustace because their older siblings are away and their mother wants a proper holiday with their father. During that stay they are brought back to Narnia with Eustace. They are taken abroad the Dawn Treader which is Caspian’s ship. However there are no wars to fight, they haven’t been summouned so no one has any ideas as to why they are back. But they are told by Caspian that he has left his kingdom to look for seven friends of his father who were banished in the time of his uncle’s reign.
Each of them had a sword to protect by Caspian’s father….but not any ordinary swords.As they go looking for these seven men and thier swords, they are plunged into adventure of the sort they could never have imagined! To overcome the evil trying to destroy them, they’ll have to destoy the evil in themselves! This proves to be difficult as time goes on! Will they be able to find all these swords and thier protecters and what dangers lurk on thier way? Read the book and find out!
This is really interesting book. It has a good mix of adventure, fantasy and even humour! If you like reading books that are out-of-the-ordinary you might like to try this one! It is in a series with being the third after The lion, the witch and the wardrobe and Prince Caspian! THIS IS A REALLY GOOD BOOK!
Our Prezi is all about how the first War started, how it ended, and also what happened afterwards. We hope when you go through our Prezi, you will learn as much as we have researching the project. Zenia and I enjoyed working on Prezi, because it was new and different to the daily Powerpoint. We think the effects on Prezi make our whole presentation look more interesting and worthwhile. Hopefully, everyone else thinks so ,too!
Sim City Bonkers
Congratulations to the following people who received Fielder of the Week awards at today’s assembly!
- Malinthi for the outstanding enthusiasm you show at all times in class. I love how you look engaged, share your ideas, ask questions and always persist with tasks. Keep up the fantastic work!
- Tai for the enthusiasm and effort you have been putting in to your learning over the past few weeks. I have been so impressed with your fantastic attitude!
- Ryan for being such a great mate to everyone in grade 5/6 at Berwick Fields! You sure know how to get along and 56C will miss you!
Thanks to Malinthi and Caitlin for summarising the 1920s.
In class we have begun to look at the ‘7 Steps to Amazing Writing’. As a launching pad to the steps, we began by spending the first fortnight focusing on ‘Sizzling Starts’.
A Sizzling Start is a start to a piece of writing or story that really engages the reader and makes them want to read more in the story. It could be an action scene or something funny – anything that makes the reader want to keep reading more.
We have had a look at writing which does not sizzle (it fizzles!) and how it causes us to become disinterested in the writing. Some examples of this include writing that starts with ‘On the weekend…’ or ‘When I woke up…’.
Students have been fantastic at identifying sizzling starts! Some of the sizzling starts that we have identified in books, movies or television programs include:
- The beginning of Stormbreaker, with Ian Rider being chased from Port Tallon. (thanks Tai)
- The introduction to Men in Black, as the agents zap the alien in the desert. (Thanks Zak)
- The movie Wall*E with its engaging and wonderful first scene.
- The film Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, which starts with the boulder chase scene.
- The Simpsons Movie, when Homer poisons the town’s water supply (thanks Jarryd)
- Pirates of the Caribbean has a suspense filled start with many people dying
- The television show Modern Family often starts with a comic scene that makes you laugh and want to keep watching.
- The books Beware contain lots of short stories but they are all set in Halloween and full of suspense. (Zak)
- The books in the Deltora Quest series contain twists at the start to make you want to find out what happens, such as when the main characters die out right at the start (thanks Zenia!)
- Tomorrow When the War Began starts with a bombing and fighting scene
- In the novel Breaking Dawn the character begins to talk about her life experiences and what has happened to her (thanks Kelly)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets captures you in by jumping off where the last story ends and Harry doing something he shouldn’t be doing.
- The Short Second Life of Bree Tanya starts with a newspaper headline and the main character talking about how it will affect others
This is only a short list of some of the ideas that we discussed in class over the past fortnights. We have also completed a range of activities to get us good at thinking about quick starts to stories. These have including writing ‘five fast starts’ where we have to write the start to five stories in just ten minutes- yes it can be done! Ideas we were given for stories included “All of the kids are at school but there’s no teacher’s in sight”, “A ghost story about a dog with three legs” and “There’s a tree in the wetlands that eats kids”. It’s amazing what you can write in two minutes when you put your mind to it!
Today, we moved on to another of the steps and starting looking at Planning for Success.
We spent some time this morning discussing the importance of having a wide range of ideas to be able to build a story from, and not necessarily using the first thing that pops in to your head. As a grade we brainstormed some large lists of different characters (heroes and villains), sidekicks, problems, settings and animals we might include in a story. From these lists, we had to use something from each list to write the start to a silly story. Here are some of the ideas we came up with.
- A walking saucepan has to flee from the FBI who know his mysterious secret. It’s the year 2012 with Mayans freaking everywhere and with the help of a monkey his only transport is a non-stop kicking horse. -Malinthi
- A class full of heroes in the year 2500 has to stop a million dollar author and her evil cat from making every pencil in the world grow huge with only the help of Kevin Rudd. – Kelly
- A fat cow and its sidekick the talking wheelchair have to fight the psycho killer for killing the Prime Minister, helped by a tiger with fangs. – Jesse
- The evil cat is owned by a mad scientist in the year 3000 with the help of a supersized pig. But he was stopped by the talking tree. – Sarah
- In the first year ever a lady had a super big pig and her sidekick bumble bee brother looked after it. They also had an old lady, sick hobo and giant bee. – Olivia
- A vampire, who has lived from 1899 to 2240 trying to find a way to become human again, has found her match, a demon and with only her mind and her python she has to kill him or he will control the world and herself forever. -Amber
- A farting monkey and sidekick, a non-stop kicking horse, would face and fight evil dog. They would fight in the year 2240. Evil dog will die and the world will end. -Ryan
- There once was a zombie with his sidekick alien mouse named freckles. They tried to stop the evil flesh eating dog from trying to kill the guy with an evil haircut. – Jarryd
- In the year 1204BC, one ex villan has to prove his hero worthiness by defeating an old Egyptian guy who wants to be the God of everyone, with the help of only his miniature talking dinosaur and his smart flying hippo. – Zenia
Wouldn’t these ideas make for an engaging story!
Zenia’s Camp Podcast
Malinthi’s Camp Podcast
Jasjot’s Camp Podcast
On Friday and Saturday we celebrated our 5th Birthday Frenzy at school.
Berwick Fields has now been open for more than five years and to mark the occasion we had a day of special celebrations on Friday. We started with the whole school ‘Together we Achieve’ games in the morning, working with students from across the school in our house teams. Then in the middle of the day, we had a special birthday assembly. Our new leaders for 2011 were presented with their badges at this assembly.
There were also many other special performances and presentations at the assembly, which you can see from the photos below. In the afternoon, we celebrated with a fun afternoon out on the oval.