Guilty, yet hungry. By Zenia, 5/6C.

As I entered the room, which was decorated in colourful streamers and balloons, I smiled at the birthday girl, who was striding over to me in her tall party hat. Her name was Victoriah, and she was one of my best friends! I could hear music booming from an awesome stereo, and I could see people dancing to the songs. I felt like dancing to, but I stayed put to hug and wish the birthday girl.

My eyes wandered around the room as I handed Victoriah her present and I saw some girls from school happily dipping scarlet strawberries into what looked like warm, flowing chocolate fudge. My tummy rumbled and I could suddenly smell all the food in the room; there was packets and packets of Salt and Vinegar chips, Pascal Swirls, chocolate cookies, fruits and orange cordial. Victoriah had clearly heard my tummy rumbling, because she chuckled and said, “You can start eating now if you like! We’re still waiting-“. She was cut off by the loud sound of a dozen party poppers being popped, and in the next second we were both covered in streamers!

The doorbell rang, and Victoriah left to check who had arrived. I thought I might as well help myself to some chips and cordial, so I dodged balloons, streamers and people to get to the glorious table piled with food. There were more things than I had smelt; party pies, biscuits and more than enough soft drinks! Then I saw the cake. The glorious, mouth-watering cake! Shaped as a beautiful, pink rose, and as big as a steering wheel. I couldn’t take my eyes off it. I imagined what it tasted like…melting in my mouth. I stepped forwards, felt my foot get caught in a wire, and I tripped. The music, which had been still booming away, suddenly stopped. Everything seemed to go extra slow…I fell onto the food table, crushing chips and cookies. And the cake. I had destroyed the cake. The beautiful cake.

I heard a scream, and I felt a dozen pair of eyes burning into my back. I lay there, guilty…and still hungry.