Discussion / Thinking Question – Back in Time

Let’s link in with our Inquiry topic and study for this week’s thinking question. Our focus this week will be on:

• making links between the past and the present (and identifying what is different)
  • including historical fact in a fiction piece of writing
  • describe a scene
  • writing in the first person.

bttfbanner

You are Marty McFly, and have just travelled in the DeLorean back to the year 1912. Describe where you have arrived and what the world is like. Try to include facts about the era to make it seem real.

15 thoughts on “Discussion / Thinking Question – Back in Time

1. What just happend I was In Melborne and now I’m in America in New York ow no look at the time machine it’s destroed how will I get out of here. Hello um whats the date it is 1/07/1912 thanks how did I get here wait I can look for Doc he use to live here maybee if I find him I can get him to fix the time machine but were does he live I wonder were I’ll stay help help help!. Hello you do you know were doc lives yeah he lives just down the road number 2346 ok thanks. I’m comeing Doc Doc hi Doc who are u I’m Marty you know Marty I’m your best friend in 2011 I don’t know what you are talking about Marty but your welcome to stay for tea wait can I stay over night I will go ask my dad dad can my friend Marty stay with use tonight sure were is he um he is with that strang looking machine tell him to come. Marty come here hi sir do u know how to fix this time traveling machine. WHAT bring it in I don’t want anyone to see this or see you.

2. @Mr Mills

BOOM!! I smashed into a shed and went straight out the other side and quickly stopped, I was in the middle of a tiny villageand everyone was looking i went into the berwick in and looked for help but there was no help in there so I went back to the Time Machine and tryed to start it but suddenly I realised, it was out of plotonium. I searched everywhere for some but I could`nt find anything and then the best thing ever there was spare plotonium under the seat so I put in turned in on set the dials and i went up to 88 miles per hour and off I went I set the dials for ten minutes before they shot doc so i could save him and i did and as soon as they got there we were gone without anything left behind.

from Jarryd

3. @Mr Mills,
    There I was leaving England and travelling to Australia in the year 1912. As I got of the machine I realised immediately just how different it looked back then! People were wearing different and rather dull clothes. And many boys were pulling little wagons with strange toys in them. After looking around, I made straight for what I thought was a shop. Over there I managed to purchase some thing called boiled sweets. I was actually quite nice. After that I apprached a bunch of people who were crowded some box-like thing.

They told me, quite kindly, that it was a radio. It didn’t look like the ones we have in our time. It was brown and seemed to have way more buttons. It was running a commentry about the Olympics. It was saying things like “Oh here he goes” or “what a fantastic match of tag-a-war that was!” Tag-a-war I thought to myself. In the Olympics! Seems like they even had different sports then. I saw some girls in the corner playing with some puppets. I stared at them for a while and some of them smiled at me when they noticed. I decided it was time to leave.

As I made my way back to the machine, I looked back one more time to see the way our kind lived a long time ago. It was quite a magical time but everyone has to return to the real world sometime.

Malinthi

4. To Mr Mills,

I had arrived in the year 1912 in Melbourne. Well at least I thought it was Melbourne. The world had changed so much! Even the simple colours of blue or red or purple had changed. The only colours I could see as I looked around were the dark colours of brown black and dirty whites.

Standing in the middle of this dirt road I see the men hard at work with their sons and friends. then a thought occurred to me. There were no woman! They must have been at home taking care of families and cooking food. I can`t believe that 100 after this time we have all genders working hard.

I started to walk towards a shop. it was old and had the same dark colours as peoples clothes. I was reaching for the door handle when I heard a man yell.
    “Hey boy, I don`t know ya but you should be working, not the time for a break yet!”
    I looked over my shoulder to find two men walking towards me. Oh. No.

That’s when I sprinted for it. I ran and ran but I was getting tired. these two men behind me though were only getting stronger as they ran. i rounded a corner only to bump into someone. Double Oh No. I stared at the man and that’s when the men behind me grab my arm.

“Hay, trying to make a runner for it? the young ones are always the slackers.” he said fiercely. He forced
    me to follow him when I thought.

Tripple. Oh. No! How am I gonna get out of this?

5. It was 2011 and I dicided to make a back to the future car for me. As I started making it I had to get alot of flying parts and alot of car parts. As I started my trip to 1912 I was thinking where I could go I thort about alot of places but the one that poped up in my mined at the last minute I thort of the TITANIC.

As I took of to go on my trip to the Titanic as I got there I was amazed about what was on the Titanic there was 10 curses that you eat when it is breckfast, lunch and dinner and do not ferget desert. As I went to my room and I plonked myself onto the bed as I was so egsorsed from watching the ocean all day.

All of a sudden a crash soung and a boom sound came from the front of the boat we had hit something but what had it hit.

As I went out to see what the Titanic had hit ans I sore some people playing with icebergs we had it an iceberg and we where taking on water so I got into my back to the future car/ flying car and took off so I did not see any more after that becaus e I reterned back to the year 2011…

Olivia

6. It is currently the year 2011 and I really wanted to investigate the Titanic because I found interesting so I got out Doc’s time machine and set off to go find the Titanic.

After I finally got there I went to look around at all the different things about the Titanic and toy surprise there is a 10 courses meal every day now I am really excited about being on the Titanic.

Then when it got to about midnight there was an enouncement form Captain Smith and he announced that the Titanic was about to crash and for everyone to head to life boats.
    Then I started to panic because I will not be able to get back to the year 2011 ion time so I was luckily one of the lucky people that got on a life boat and got onto the Carpathia and when I got there I was back in the year 2011, until I got court for borrowing the time machine and not asking Doc’s.

Sarah

7. where am I, I think im in a car thats flying wait cars cant fly where are we going, we are going to the 1/4/1912 at 10:00am to try and stop the candy factory from blowing up. You only have 24hour to save thye candy factory before it blows up.

First you have to find the bomb and get it as far away from the factory as possible and then you can eat as much candy as you want.

8. The most exciting thing but kinnd of scary thing the has ever happened to me .

It was when l visited my Uncle bassment l so a time machine .l just wnt as i had thought there it was old to work. After that l opened the do and find my self in aplace l have evere wanted to go ,it was Alaska inthe capital city Juneau . When l went around to have a look l noticed it’s not the 21th centry .Lasked this kid and he tells me its 1912 . l wanted tyo go back home but l was so scared thatl forgot how to go back .l didn’t want to mess up again l look for a sheliter and and l made my self a little bush fire and get to sleep .

lt is in the morning and l dont know where to start from .So the same kid again and try to make freinds with him and tell him what happens ,but he just don’t thing it normal that l can do that .

9. What Is that? What is it? It’s a flying car. It can’t be a flying car. Cars can fly! Just get Marty. Where you want to go? I want to go to The Chocolate Factory in England. Okay I’ll put it in the. 1/04/1912.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOM! Get out of the car Marty and have look at the old buildings. Doc, look at the Chocolate Factory. Sup Dude, whats your name? My name is Mr Candy Man. I work for the Chocolate Factory. Happy Apirl Fools Day! I am just man walking down the street.

10. @ Mr Mills

Wow Toronto Canada. It looks awesome and it is very different to 2011. The cars are so different and there are the paper boys that sell the news paper. It seems weird that the clothes look very different. I never knew that the DeLoreon would Take me to Toronto Canada. Its like a dream come true. Its bad that none of my friends are going to beleive me wich sucks. Even my mum and dad won’t beleive me wich also sucks. 1912 is so different to 2011.

11. @Mr Mills

Wow! The news paper has just said someone called Doc has invented a time machine that is going to travell to the year 1912. I thought I would meet the man who made the time machine so I did, that day I found his adress and went there.

When I got there nobody was home so I decided to test the time machine just to make sure it worked and that I didn’t wast all my day finding him. The next second I found myself in the year 1912 well at least I knew it worked.

So the year 1912 is totally different to the 2011. Well first some how I was in the olimpics. I was in the tug of war and the 600m run and I won both of the things. I was very proud of myself but the way they celebrate in 1912 was not that fun.

love lara the awesome!

12. WOW! I can’t believe i’m flying but Doc were is going BOOM! what was that we just crashed into the year 1912. 1912 yep 1912 said Doc you’re joking no i’m not joking sweet its a boiled sweets shop ok run along while i fix this smashed time machine but i’ve got to warn you ok you got to make sure don’t get seen by self from the past.

These taste so nice I could have a shop of them but before I go back a nd get some more i’m going to see if I can sign up for the tug of war team. Excuse me ma-am do you no if i can sign up for the tug of war team sure said the lady. YES i’ll see you later now to get more sweets.

Doc do you want some sweets Doc, Doc hes probably still fixing the time machine. I’ll be back soon ok well seyah later i’m going to the olympics. whats that the titanic set sail a couple of days a go i’m to look at it ok awsome. WOW thats the biggest ship i’ve ever seen I guess thats why they say its unsinkable.

Doc you fixed the ship yet, yep lets go.

13. gim0004bfps:

The most exciting thing but kind of scary thing the has ever happened to me .

It was when l visited my Uncle bassment l so a time machine .l just wnt as l had thought there it was old to work. After that l opened the do and find my self in a place l have evere wanted to go ,it was Alaska in the capital city Juneau . When l went around to have a look l noticed it’s not the 21th centry .Lasked this kid and he tells me its 1912 . l wanted tyo go back home but l was so scared thatl forgot how to go back .l didn’t want to mess up again l look for a sheliter and and l made my self a little bush fire and get to sleep .

lt is in the morning and l dont know where to start from .So the same kid again and try to make freinds with him and tell him what happens ,but he just don’t thing it normal that l came from the futher in the time machine . But some adults noticed l was l was dressed really cool.

This was my second week after in Jenuea .

14. gim0004bfps:

gim0004bfps:

This was my second week in Jenuea , l think of my Mom and Dad .Where do they think l am ? lost , murderd , kidnaped for money because we a very rich or what ever they think l am .l decide to go back home .l type on a small keyboard where l want to go .l typed my home adress , country and city .l find my self in another country , l didn’t bother looking around and shut the door closed and typed the same digits and letters .

At last l am at my Uncle’s bassment and fin my Mom , Dad and Uncle waiting for me . At first l thought I was in trouble but was not .They all haged me joy to see me back .After that my uncle distroyed the time machine .

l excperianced a lot in my journey .

15. Kia ora, Hello
    Our names are Olivia and Connie we are year 5 students from a primary school in Nelson, New Zealand. Our country is currently hosting the Rugby World Cup and as part of this we are studying some different countries around the world. We have found out information by doing research about countries but we wanted to find out what it is really like growing up in your country. We have some questions that we would like to ask you. What subjects do you do? Do you have any bullies at your school? It would be great if you could Respond to us, we would like to get to know you.
    You can contact us at room6@hampdenstreet.school.nz
    Also check out our class wiki http://room6hss2011.wikispaces.com
    We are looking forward to hearing back from you